Sunday, February 25, 2007

Cora's winter fun

Beth went on retreat this weekend and due to weather, G&G Roesch (Tom & Jackie) wisely decided to stay in New Ulm. That means it was me, Cora, Henry, and the blizzard. Looked to be 14 inches or so, but I don't know for sure. It was a lot of snow, probably the most since we moved into the house. Pretty heavey stuff, but not too wet.

This morning, all three of us started shovelling, to see if we could make it to church. Uhm, no. Got about 2/3rd of the way down the driveway by 9:15. (Church starts at 9:00.) Had the plow line at the end of the driveway left. (Left that for last so the kids couldn't make it to the street even if they tried.) Realized I had a big pile of snow at the top of the driveway, in front of the garage. I made a couple cuts into it with the shovel, but it was time to go in for hot chocolate.

At noon, Henry was napping and Cora and I went back out to finish the driveway, and then we started working on digging a decent hole in the pile. Cora liked to pick up chunks of snow and put them on top. "Jewelry," she called them. I had a decent hole going with the shovel, then raised the ceiling using a garden hoe. It barely fits me, but Cora can sit up in it. Then, I let her in and she started decorating or something. When it was time to come in for nap, she was cold and wet, but she fell right asleep. Now, to the pictures!






Finally, video:



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great snow cave. What a perfect way to clean the driveway! Great pictures Adam!
We got about a foot here in Glenwood and it's started snowing again about 2pm. At least it finally seems like winter in Minnesota!

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam and Cora,

We loved the pictures of Cora and her igloo and especially enjoyed the video. What a wonderful house...even a kitchen table and windows! How lucky that Cora is to have such a fun loving dad! And, how lucky Adam is to have such an imaginative and cute daughter!

ElisaB said...

I'm so happy for you Adam that you had such a great time with the kids this weekend. I know that you're tuckered out, but it was such a sweet relief to find you in such good spirits and the kids were so happy. Thank you for blessing me with the retreat and your cheerful attitude.
love, me

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Grammpa and I keep watching the video. It's so sweet. We love how Cora says "looking good!"
Thanks for sharing this it's a day brightener.

Tyler said...

Looks like a ton of fun.

Anonymous said...

How cute is this??? It must be fun to have someone to build snowforts with again, huh? As Sam and I were shoveling out our 12 inches I was reminded of my younger days of creating elaborate houses and pathways and such through the snow. Seems to happen less these days, so I'm glad you and Cora got to enjoy it!

ssfink said...

I would have to say that the "dinering room" is my favorite part of the fort. Looks like fun, Cora!!

Unknown said...

I love the photos and the video--looks like you guys had a great time! Thanks for sharing, Adam.

That's one adorable, imaginative girl you've got there. And she already knows that EVERY house should have a book shelf! (And of course a dinering room.) :)

amr said...

Kristen, I have to admit that the bookshelf was my idea. While I was working on it, Cora was out making flat snowballs and calling them "books." So I made an actual shelf in there for them.

Anonymous said...

AH! I've watched that video approximately nine times now. I absolutely love it. Reminds me of the good times we used to have with OUR GPa Dan!