Sunday night, I brought home a bag of chips. A new flavor of Doritos "Fiery Habanero." Now, Beth and I bought thought these were dang hot. Between "Medium" and "Hot" Pace brand salsa, closer to "Hot". Not an immediate hot like Buffalo wings, but a late and very strong heat.
Cora saw the bag and wanted a chip. I warned her that they were very hot and spicy. But she still wanted some. Beth and I discussed and we agreed that she could try a little bit, and we'll just make sure she's got a glass of milk to quench the burn. Well, Cora first licked the chip, then drank some milk. Beth and I could both see the burn growing in her mouth, but she kept licking it and then bit it and ate the whole thing, and kept drinking milk. Then she said "Can I have another?" After the third and final chip fragment, about one whole chip's worth in all (it was not Cora's decision to quit), I asked her if she liked how spicy the chips are. "No" she said. Well, why do you want more? "I like the chippies."
Had I eaten these chips at her age, I would have been balling from the fire. Cora just rolled with it and put up with it to get the crispy, salty tastiness of the chips.
Beth, please feel free to add or correct any details.
(BTW, why do we spell it "Fiery" instead of "Firey"?)
1 comment:
I can just see her saying "chippies."
Lil punkin.
Thanks for the story Adam!
Post a Comment