Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Cora and Mommy go on Retreat


Well, I did something that I began to doubt I had the strength to do half way through the packing. I took Cora camping, by myself for a night at the Glacial Lakes State Park. For those of you asking yourselves, isn't that a lot of work? It all started back in March.

I have been going on retreat now every few months between my own personal retreats at the Franciscan Retreat House in Prior Lake and the "working" retreats for the Alpha Course. The last Alpha retreat I went on, Adam came with me. It was at that point that Cora said, "I want to go on retreat, Mommy."

"Well," I said, "this summer, sweetie, you and I will go on a retreat, ok?"

Her little eyes lit up, "OK!"

Fast forward to the end of August and sweet baby girl asking "Mommy, when is our retreat?"

So then I found myself scrounging around the house pulling up all the camping equiptment I've not used in years, buying supplies, airing out sleeping bags, planning meals.... packing clothes and gear for Henry who was going to stay at Grandma and Grandpa Peterson's while Mommy and Cora were on retreat.

When we finally arrived to Glenwood, I'd already had a mini breakdown, calling Adam saying, there's no way!!!!! I can't pull this off! But he said, You're half way there, you can do it. We dropped Henry off and then, you know, the retreat really did begin.

We got to the campsite at three pm which was all God's doing (and Grandma Wendy's flexibility) that we made it to the grounds before the ranger's station closed. While I set up camp, Cora ate her special Dora fruit snacks. Then we checked out the little glacial lake and went to dinner in Starbuck at a place called T. Vincent's Cafe. Cora had a cheeseburger and french fries and I had a Ruben w/ a salad. It was pretty good. We bought firewood on the way back into the park and then changed into our swimsuits to go swimming.

We were the only people at the beach. It was gorgeous and quiet and still. Cora shouted "Just Around the Riverbend" (From Pocohantas) with her arms outstretched as the setting gold sunlight illuminated her beaming face. I felt so proud of my little girl. We splashed and chased each other in the water and once the sun had gone down, we sat on a little dock nearby and listened to the frogs jumping on the lily pads. Cora started dancing on the dock and eventually got me to join in to.

When we finally decided to go back to camp, we changed into our jammies and I made a (very poorly crafted) fire. Luckily Cora only ended up eating 3 marshmallows, so my fire was sufficient. I told her the story of Cinderella while we "warmed up by the fire."

Well, after getting into the tent as the sun was going down, Cora was asleep in her sleeping bag. I lay listening to the sound of the acorns falling from the oak trees.

At about one in the morning, I heard more acorns falling. It sounded a lot like rain, though. All of the sudden, I saw lightening! I heard thunder. Luckily we were so close to my Mom and Dad's. So, I packed up Cora and everything that could get wet into the car. The rain fell large and hard and the lighting jagged across the sky. We slept soundly for the rest of the night in cozy bed's at Grandma and Grandpas.

In the morning, after breakfast and a few cups of coffee for me, we went back to the campsite. Everything was so wet! We aired things out and then went canoeing on the little lake. Cora loved it! After fighting the wind and my arms turning into jelly, we parked the canoe. We returned to the tent, packed everything up, cleaned up the campsite, and pulled away.

Before leaving the state park though, Cora and I went for a little hike on the walking trails. We walked up to a little hill where there were some picnic tables and you could see the prairie stretched out in all directions for a miles. Cora danced on the hilltop, looking so beautiful and so free. My heart hurt with love for her.

I was so glad that we'd taken the time for our retreat. What an adventure we'd had. All of the sudden, she came running up to me saying, "I love you, Mommy!" We lingered for a little longer, hugging and talking about the little hill far off with just one tree on it's top. "Cora's tree" I called it. We watched the little sparrows fly so joyously from one tree to another. I carried her on my shoulders back to the car and then, the retreat ended.

I will do it again anytime. I love you, Cora girl.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh, I have tears in my eyes! So sweet!!! I wish for many more wonderful moments like this for you!