Begun to be written on March 4, 2012
So. Lucy Bernadine has arrived! It has been a whirlwind of a month but
it has been just wonderful. The kids are all doing so well so far.
Lucy is healthy and happy. She sleeps as well as a newborn can be
expected to sleep and eats amazingly!
The Maple Grove Hospital was wonderful. Not only was it a gorgeous new facility, but the nursing staff and doctors were so... compassionate. They had thought out so many details that made it a wonderful place to recover from a surgery. Soundproofed, medications delivered by staff who knew the time tables, and good food that I got to pick. I was able to really recuperate and get to know Lucy at the same time. Also, it was beautiful... I had a big window to look out over a field. I even enjoyed watching people traveling in their cars on highway 94 in the distance. The sunlight would come in and light the room... sigh... someday I want wood floors back in our house. The carpet kingdom is not as lovely as wood floors... but.. I digress.
We left early in the morning, Adam and I. Mom and Dad took pictures of us before we left. I didn't sleep well at all, but that's to be expected. Dad and I ended up both being awake and spent a great time talking about Life in the darkness of the living room at 4 a.m. I will never forget that.
We listened to the song "Can't Take it In" by Imogene Heap. Winter's Light is the name of the compilation cd Adam gave me for my birthday a few years ago. It's one of my all time favorites. I wanted to hear that that morning. The kids and I had also been reading the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe together. Probably should have been a clue as to the name choice... we'd made a list of names, but nothing stood out to us even up to the night before. We decided we'd wait until we met the little one before we named her...
When we got to the hospital things picked up speed and flowed right on time. I was in and then, there was baby girl!! She was beautiful! I wanted to see more of her, but you have to learn patience when you have c-sections. It took a long time for me to be put back together, so Adam got to spend a good deal of time with her while surgery was wrapping up. When they finally wheeled me in to the recovery room, I was just beyond excited to hold my little one. She was perfect. 10 fingers, 10 toes, a head... I'm easy to please.. ha.
Adam and I talked for a good long time and finally settled on the one and only name that we had both said yes to the whole time, but didn't realize... Lucy. Bernadine we knew we wanted because it was a mixture of our three other Grandmas' names. Berniece, Bernita Bernelda, and Geraldine, Cool, huh? I love it! Now all are kids give a nod to their great grandparents in their names... they're family history is a permanent part of their names. Cora Elisabeth, Henry Peter, Alice Josephine, and now... Lucy Bernadine. Thank you God for this amazing gift to be co-creators with you! What a GIFT!
No comments:
Post a Comment